Matthew Gould is the UK Government’s first Director General for Digital and Media, based in the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).
Former British ambassador, who launched pioneering UK Israel tech hub, tasked with leading the nation’s drive to capitalise on digital technology.
He has been tasked with overseeing the Department’s digital and media policy brief, which aims to equip the nation with the skills and technology it needs to create tomorrow’s world-leading digital businesses. He will also work to make sure everyone can enjoy the benefits of modern technology.
Matthew will take a prominent role in:
- making sure the UK has the world-class connectivity it needs
- supporting British companies with access to infrastructure and technology
- helping build digital ecosystems where bright ideas can become successful companies;
- equipping British people with the skills they need to flourish in a digital world
- reducing the number of people excluded from the digital economy to help create an economy that works for all
- working to create an innovation-friendly and cyber-secure country
Director General for Digital and Media Matthew Gould said:
“Our economy is powered by innovation and we want Britain to be the safest place to do business and go online. But if we want the UK to prosper we need to make sure we have world-class connectivity, and If we want an inclusive society, we need to tackle digital exclusion and make sure everyone has the digital skills they need.
I’m determined to tackle these challenges to help make the UK the best place in the world to start and grow a digital company. It is a huge privilege to be the Government’s first Director General for Digital and Media and to have the chance to help make this happen.”