Software Development Manager
BiP Solutions are delighted to bring to market their newly created role of Software Development Manager. Our digital software development teams are at the heart of our organisation. Can you lead them on their digital journey from good to great? Are you excited to establish, develop and embed best practices across a large agile community?
This represents an incredibly exciting time to join us, as we continue on a major digital transformation programme. The existing software systems have formed the backbone of the business, but the time is right to move to a digital, data-driven organisation with the ambition to provide customers with cutting-edge digital services.
Make an Impact:
You will lead in ensuring the software development group is employing the most relevant practices, processes and technologies to best deliver against the company’s needs. Meeting necessary standards and having the ability to support service demands including robust availability and change in a complex IT estate.
Reporting into the IT Director and working with multiple stakeholders across the busines, you will be responsible for shaping the software development direction of the future for products that are built, solving problems, encouraging your team, and developing new features through quality, scalable, performant and maintainable technical solutions as well as working as a software development practitioner to resolve complex technical challenges.
You will remove blockers that prohibit the team being successful in software development and ensure they have the appropriate skills and capability to be the best.
- Manage and lead day to day operations of the development team including scoping projects, resource management, assigning workload, training and development.
- Continuously improve processes and procedures for efficient and effective software development while identifying areas to increase efficiency by way of automation.
- Collaborate with Developers, Architects and Product Owners to assist with design and product delivery and manage implementation of agreed architecture and coding standards.
- Own development projects from conception through build, testing, implementation and support ensuring they meet business needs
- Oversee release and deployment activities to ensure release deadlines are met according to release plans
- Promote the use of CI/CD tools and create/collaborate in embedding a DevOps environment.
- Ensure that all team members are working on tasks that are meaningful to company and business objectives with a specific commercial lens to ensure return on investment
- Ensure that team is able to collaborate across the company and have a clear understanding of business value of the work that they are engaged in.
Essentials skills & experience:
- Highly experienced in full stack development with a deep understanding of both older/legacy frameworks and also more modern practices (Java, Spring/SpringBoot, Hibernate, Azure DevOps Repos/CI/CD Pipelines, SQL/Oracle etc)
- Strong experience of running teams developing modern applications and services in an Agile/SCRUM environment
- Demonstrable experience of implementing the technology strategy to provide innovative ways to develop new software for products and services
- Demonstrable experience of successfully delivering into the market sophisticated software product releases deployed into a variety of environments (covering monolithic, micro-services and hybrid approaches)
- Good working knowledge of both on-premise & Cloud technologies & infrastructure
- Proven ability to balance best practice with commercial realities, being pragmatic or “digging in your heels” depending on the situation
- Be able to communicate and articulate clearly to both a Technical & non-Technical audience
- Be a supportive coach to embed best practises into the team and develop new skills
Working with us
You will be joining BiP at an extremely exciting period of change and transformation. We want our people to feel part of this journey and encourage individuals to not only share their ideas, but have the space and autonomy to make them happen. We pride ourselves on our track record of developing our talent internally and giving our people the chance to shape a rewarding and varied career path with us, with no limitations.
The Good Stuff
- Competitive salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- 30 days annual leave (increasing with length of service)
- Option to buy up to 5 days annual leave
- Health cash plan
- Flexibility with working hours
- On-site parking
- Access to SSE Hydro Club
Our focus is on utilising our inhouse approach to engage with candidates and therefore, are not dealing with agencies for this role.