The Head of Software Engineering is a critical role in supporting the digital growth and revenue targets across the business. The role will be responsible for setting the software development best practices, supporting/developing current & future architecture and the ensuring that all agreed activities are delivered in a timely, effective & consistent fashion.
This would cover all aspects of software lifecycle including new product development & management/maintenance of existing platforms ensuring they stay relevant & performant.
Head of Software Engineering is also responsible of setting up and promote the best organizational patterns and practices in software engineering area, lead recruitment for the software engineering team and keeping up with new technologies and identify correct schema for current and future BiP software products.
You will remove blockers that prohibit the team being successful in software development and ensure they have the appropriate skills and capability to be the best.
Vision & Strategy
- Set the strategy and subsequent work packages of how BiP build & maintain our applications to ensure all coding practices are consistent, efficient and future proof
- Work closely with Product & Infrastructure to ensure that software strategy & vision is understood and have an overall shared & cohesive plan
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to analyse the needs and align product roadmap to strategic goals
Regularly communicate, monitor and update key stakeholder groups on tracking of strategy
- Review, build & constantly assess the underlying organisational structure, to ensure it is fit for purpose in terms of size, shape, cost & skills to deliver against current & future objectives
- Act as a champion of the applications & software practices, communicating and influencing future direction & plans, ensuring voice is heard at the table
- Act as champion around product/feature pricing strategies aligning market, customer & sales drivers to ensure we deliver best value through each of our product streams
- Assess value, develops cases, and prioritises stories, epics and themes to ensure work focuses on those with a maximum value that are aligned with product strategy.
- Create, maintain, lead and promote technology vision at BiP. This means that the Head of Software Engineering is accountable for technology decisions made in the software development area to support business goals.
Prioritisation & Delivery
- Leads the development teams and collaborates with Product and other business departments in order to roll out new products/functionalities, support and implement the ongoing process improvements of the current systems.
- Develop detailed plans and delivery schedules to ensure that outputs/outcomes from the teams match agreed budget/business case goals so we can maximise return on investment
- Ensure documented and robust processes in place around how work is identified, prioritised and resourced within the team. This should include where applicable, roles & responsibilities from within the team and other areas of the business
- Own development projects from conception through build, testing, implementation and support ensuring they meet business needs
- Identify the delivery techniques that deliver the greatest value (SCRUM, ScrumBan, Lean, TDD etc) and bed in and ensure understanding, training & compliance to enable consistent delivery
- Ensure that all team members are working on tasks that are meaningful to company and business objectives with a specific commercial lens to ensure return on investment
- Work closely with all key stakeholder groups throughout the delivery process to ensure quick & relevant decision-making/priority calls are in place, where applicable
- Identify user needs and work with cross-functional teams to manage product releases to ensure that the “non-functional” elements of delivery are captured, tracked & delivered e.g., change management activities
- Set up controls and procedures for quality assurance for all the activities performed by the engineering team: planning, management, execution and implementation of site/software, inclusive of the day-to-day project management, scope management, issue and risk management, as well as regular status reporting.
- Work closely with scrum masters, tech leads and engineering teams in the management and development of strategic planning, also in ensuring that systems meet the overall business requirements and standards.
- Delivery Reporting.
Development Practices, Architecture & Quality Assurance
- Identify and continually develop best practice software development techniques, embed within the development teams (and wider business as applicable) and manage compliance and continuous improvement
- Fully understand current application & network architecture, agreed product roadmaps, identify critical (and future) technical debt and build a cohesive future state and associated (continuous) delivery path
- Ensure that all future developments are reviewed against preferred future state to ensure that solutions/future code fits into a pre-defined standard to maximise delivery timescales, ability to easily add/change/delete/update & minimise technical debt
- Understand and embed effective quality assurance processes to continually improve coding practices, time to market through the right mixture of planning and manual vs automated testing processes
- Set up and follow up effective processes and ways of working in the software development team.
Team Leadership & Management
- Act as a leader of the team; setting the standards for others to follow
- Provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship to all direct reports, ensuring that they can support & consistently drive benefits across all product lines
- Build cohesive structure & development plans across each of the team members to ensure they can effectively contribute to the delivery of organisation and personal goals
- Ensure all teams have an effective consistency of approach, share knowledge and cross-department opportunities
- Effective management of teams/colleagues outside of your direct control to ensure alignment and control of overarching joint deliverables. Utilising mentorship, influencing skills &, where appropriate, underlying frameworks e.g., Agile
- Fully understand and manage all budgetary elements to effectively manage costs and driving value/revenue as agreed in appropriate budget assumptions/business cases
- Team size and skills needed definition to support business needs.
- Engage with recruitment agencies and contractors, hire and onboard new team members.
- Active collaboration with businesses and product area for agreeing better ways to support their needs.
- Propose and actively participate in the definition and development of new BiP services and products.
- Help and support BiP in other cross departments initiatives.
Skills; Experience & Behaviours
- 10+ years of full stack development with a deep understanding of both older/legacy frameworks and also more modern practices (Java, Spring/SpringBoot, Hibernate, Azure DevOps Repos/CI/CD Pipelines, SQL/Oracle etc)
5+ years’ experience of running teams developing modern applications and services in an Agile/SCRUM environment
- Demonstrable experience of implementing the technology strategy to provide innovative ways to develop new software for products and services
- Demonstrable experience of successfully delivering into the market sophisticated software product releases deployed into a variety of environments (covering monolithic, micro-services and hybrid approaches)
- Good working knowledge of both on-premises & Cloud technologies & infrastructure
- A natural interest and enthusiasm for everything digital/technical, reviewing trends & understanding how these could/should be adopted within BiP
- Proven ability to balance best practice with commercial realities, being pragmatic or “digging in your heels” depending on the situation
- Be able to communicate and articulate clearly to both a Technical & non-technical audience
- Be a supportive coach to embed best practises into the team and develop new skills
- Excellent people leadership skills and the ability to work under your own initiative and as part of a team
What’s on offer?
We are fortunate to have a fantastic office location at the heart of Pacific Quay and we continue to invest in creating a modern working environment with great views of the river.
- Competitive salary
- Contributory pension scheme
- Annual company performance bonus
- 22 days + 8 Bank Holidays (which increases with length of service)
- Birthday Off
- Health cash plan
- On-site parking
- Access to SSE Hydro Club
- Discount on Gym Membership
- Quarterly social nights and an annual awards night